Hoping to socialize, network, promote, and learn through writing.

cheers

cheers
me in Sonoma

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Breakthrough Session

I just got done working with one of my oldest clients and had a terrific session. When I say oldest I don't mean her age, I mean she is one of the clients I have worked with the longest in SLC. I have been teaching her 1-2 private sessions a week since I moved to Salt Lake 2 years ago. That's alot of Pilates:)

Well, today was a breakthrough day for my client and I. After almost 2 years, I think she finally "gets it". When I say "gets it" I mean she is starting to understand Pilates, she is starting to understand what her goals are, she is starting get the order of importance in good technique (what needs to happen 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.), and she is finally starting to correct and adjust herself! I feel like I have finally reached her. I am trying my hardest to empower her to take control of her body and not rely on me to tell her exactly what to do all the time. She is starting to be in control.

This is exciting to me because not only do I feel like I have done a good job with her, but she is beginning to open doors for herself to a more powerful and deeper understanding of movement. I remember a friend and fellow instructor say a long time ago that you should never have to work harder than the client works. It has taken 5 years of teaching Pilates for me to start to apply that, but I agree.

When I see clients that tell me that they have been doing Pilates for years, I expect them to at least know the basics. Surprisingly, some don't. They've never been required to take ownership of their sessions. They walk in the door, pay their money, take their class or private session, and go home without really participating. What a waste of time, energy and money. They literally "check out" mentally at the door!

So, touching on my last post about goals and resolutions for 2010...here's another one. I am going to do more empowering clients rather than just teaching Pilates.

No comments:

Post a Comment