Hoping to socialize, network, promote, and learn through writing.

cheers

cheers
me in Sonoma

Monday, December 21, 2009

Looking Toward 2010

As the new year closes in, many of us begin thinking of what we want for our lives in the coming year. We may set resolutions, recommit to past goals, or put out hopes and dreams for the next year. I try to ask my Pilates clients every year to assess how far they have come, and set goals for the new year. What exercises or fundamentals have you been avoiding? Have you been as focused as you could be? How has your Pilates experience been for you, and what can we do to make it better?

I ask myself to do the same. Looking at my life in sections, relationships, career, family, social life, etc. Are all those areas of my life full, or are some left empty? Which areas need work, which areas are being overworked? Am I pushing myself to try new things, meet new people, and nurture current relationships? Is there an area of my life that I would like to focus on more in the coming year?

When I work with clients in Pilates, I assess what areas of their bodies need strengthening, lengthening, opening, tightening, etc. I create a tailored plan and custom goals for them because every body is different and needs personal attention. It's all about balance. In Pilates and life. Just as I customize a session for a client, I am customizing my goals and priorities in my life to work for me. How can I create balance in all areas of my life? I think this year I'll learn to meditate.

2010. A new decade is upon us. What are your resolutions this year?

2 comments:

  1. First, great post Julie! Congratulations on taking the time and initiative to forge new relationships this year, and build on the ones you've made already. I am sure you're dedication to your clients is self-evident by assessing their needs both in your practice, and your forum here.

    I think I also hold the distinction of being the first one to leave a comment on your blog, unless of course someone has posted something as I was writing this.

    Best,

    Mark

    http://tridadoffive.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Mark, you're the first! Thanks. By the way, I am eating beans and greens while I write today:)

    ReplyDelete